Wednesday, February 2, 2011

30-Day Challenge, Day 24

A movie no one would expect you to love.

Agh.  Some of these posts are not so easy.

I mean, what does it mean by "no one"?  No one at all?  No one upon meeting me?  No one who knows me at least a little?  None of you?  And should it be one no one expects me to love that I do love, or that I don't love?  (I analyze too much.)  I think all my readers here are pretty familiar with the types of movies I like... I'm not too secretive about what I like.  It is a fact generally acknowledged that I love Jane Austen and Charles Dickens adaptions and other period dramas (though not all) and animated films (particularly Disney).  If you didn't know I love Disney animated films and get as much enjoyment out of watching them as I do out of watching a Jane Austen flik, then I guess there's the answer to today's post. :-)


But anyway, I  thought it would be more interesting (and easy) to write about a movie no one would expect me NOT to love.


So I love animated films.  And I have a soft-spot in my heart for, well, um, like dolls and stuff. :-)  So what would you all expect me to like?  (In general.  At least, I think most people would expect me to like it.

Toy Story.  :-P

Okay, rewind.  I really like Toy Story 2.  It's not one of my top 10 favorites, but I do enjoy watching it very much if I fastforward Jessy's depressing song.   But Toy Story 3 is a different matter.


I was hesitant at first about watching it because I knew the theme was Andy growing up, and I've struggled a lot inside about growing up and knowing I'm not a little girl anymore.  (It has awesome pros, but it's kind of sad too sometimes. :-) )  But when I watched it, that aspect didn't bother me at all.  I teared up in the end scene with Andy playing with the little girl... especially when he starts talking about how Woody is a faithful friend... Okay, so that was a lovely scene; I loved that part.  In fact, I would probably have loved the movie except for one thing.


The climax.


*spoilers ahead* (if you haven't seen it and you don't want to know, just stop reading here)


If Lotso had clipped the "stop" button on the dump belt when I thought he was going to, and everyone had been saved just before going over the edge towards the fire pit, I would have been quite happy with the movie.  I would have gasped with relief and sat back to enjoy the rest of the film.
But to have those "friends" of my childhood... Woody, Buzz, Jessy, Rex, Slinky, and the others, really actually almost burn to death??  I didn't even like when they all started holding hands.  I've heard some people say they started crying there and thought it was so wonderful because it symbolized the strong bond of their friendship and how they would stick through anything together, but I didn't like it at all.  I don't mind if the characters "almost die" and then get saved in the nick of time, but to really almost ALMOST die...and in such a traumatic way... and so emotional... and, I mean, Woody and Buzz, ya know?... yeah.  It was just a little too much.  I even had a hard time appreciating "The claaaawww!!"  I was so tensed up after that that I had a hard time sitting back and enjoying the sweet ending.  I did like the sweet ending, but I was too traumatized to really let it warm my heart, if you know what I mean.  


In addition, the film did have enough "darker" moments that it just didn't make it to the top of my list.  The evil Lotso bear that smells of strawberries, and... *shudders* that SUPER CREEPY BABY DOLL that looks like it needs someone on the American Girls Fans Message Board to fix it up.... (I still hated the baby doll even by the end.)  And just little aspects here and there.  Not bad things, necessarily, just things that didn't sit right with me when I wanted a heart-warming, nostalgic movie. :-)

Don't get me wrong-- I don't hate this movie, and I don't not recommend it (though I don't recommend it for children, even if it is a cartoon-- don't believe in that line on the back of the case that says "G-General Audiences").  I got some good laughs out of it, and I thought the ending was the perfect way to conclude the series.  I loved Bonnie (absolute adorableness!) and her little toys, especially Mr. Pricklepants ("I am trying to stay in character!") :-) :-)   And who doesn't love Woody?  (mmmmm!!  *hugs self* I LOVE WOODY!!!!)   But it just didn't make it to my favorites list and I probably wouldn't watch it again unless my sisters let me fastforward through (or leave the room for) the whole dumpster scene.  It just wasn't my idea of a good climax.  The climax should have been a good several minutes prior to that, like, before the dump truck even picked the toys up in the first place. :-P

(Though it's kind of odd, because I don't really dislike intense scenes in general; I mean, I love The Incredibles and The Hunchback of Notre Dame, which have some intense, main-character-almost-dies types of scenes. (Didn't know I liked those?  Maybe I should have featured them... :-P ) (another post for another time...)  I think, though, that it was the fact that I sort of "grew up" with Woody and Buzz and the others, and already have a soft spot for (eh-hem) toys anyway, so to see them almost burn to death just wasn't what I wanted to see.  :-P

So what did you think about it?  Feel free to disagree with me.  I'm very glad if other people like it, because I feel bad that I didn't. :-)  What were your thoughts on Toy Story 3?   





P.S. I'm sorry I keep posting about animated films.  I tried to think about something else to write about for this post, but animated films kept coming to mind and I didn't know what live action films people wouldn't expect me to love. :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol, I just watched Toy Story 3 with the kids last night! And I totally agree with you about the creepy Big Baby! And when they were all in the dump on their way to the fire, I was like "No, it CANNOT end this way....!"
And I hated, absolutely hated, Ken and Barbie - sick!
I think my favorite part of the movie was Buster.... so old, so fat, so lazy.... just like our dog!!!

CG

Jason Hunsicker said...

While I do love Toy Story 3, I must agree that the dumpster scene was pretty intense. Just like you said the whole "the claaaaaw" thing wasn't so funny because you were so traumatized by what had just happened...I pretty much felt the same way. But anyways...I did still enjoy the movie, although just like you, it isn't one of my favorites.

Oh, and I agree with you about animated films...they're really all I buy these days...

Melanie said...

Oh yay! I'm glad to know I'm not too off-base in watching so many animated movies. :-) :-) I still need to watch "How to Train Your Dragon" yet...