Monday, January 31, 2011

30-Day Challenge, Day 23

A way in which you want to be remembered.

I had had ideas about what I'd write in this post for a while, but something I read today gave me a fresh perspective and helped me form more definite thoughts about it.

I was reading my mom's most recent post on Family Heirlooms and in this post she quoted part of the obituary of her great-great-grandmother, Katherine Daniels.

"All her life was spent in the east until 5 years ago, when she accompanied her family to California and had since made her home in Roseville, where her kindness and helpfulness to those in distress and her sweet and cheerful disposition endeared her to all who came in contact with her. She was a devoted Christian and an earnest worker in the Baptist church, of which she was a member, and her many acts of kindness will ever be remembered." 

As I read, I thought, "Wow.  That's how I want to be remembered."  And then I thought about this post. 

"Kindness." "Helpfulness." "Sweet and cheerful disposition." "Devoted Christian."  Katherine Daniels was remembered in this positive way.   I then think of other people who've reached heaven before me.

You all know my fandom of Eric Liddell... :-) It was said of him by an intern at Weihsien camp that he was "the finest Christian gentleman it has been my pleasure to meet. In all the time in the camp, I never heard him say a bad word about anybody".

I remember Aunt Leah being so cheerful and so full of life, serving the Lord and blessing others and raising her children to love the Lord.

My dearest memory of my own great-grandma,  whom I got to know during our visit with her in April-May 2006, is of her faithfulness in prayer and her love for her family.  According to my mom, Great-Grandma prayed for her daughter, her son-in-law, and each of her grandchildren and great-grandchildren by name every day, and her journals reflect her heart of love and care for the people God had brought into her life.  When she was living, we always knew she was praying for us.

That's how I want to be remembered.  Loving.  Caring.  Joyful.  Faithful.  Selfless.  Courageous.  Not just as a fun person or a good writer, but as a vessel of the Lord-- someone emptied of self and full of Christ, ministering God's love and gospel to people, praying for them, encouraging them.  Whether I die young, or whether I die old, I want to be remembered as someone who loved God with all her heart and ministered the love of Christ to others in every way.

Hannah had a great post for this day in the challenge too, which I'd encourage you to read.  (Ditto what she said. :-) )

No comments: