Friday, January 7, 2011

30-Day Challenge, Day 6

A moment you wish you could relive.


Goodness. You might have asked me on a day I was feeling sentimental, and I've been trying not to be lately. :-) I guess right now I am of the mind that each day God gives us is precious, but once it is passed, it is passed, and we have a new day to live and to use as best we can for God's glory... that we can look back on memories but not let ourselves be stuck in them. While I greatly dislike fluffy nostalgic songs, I do tend to live in my memories, and the last year or two have had their harder moments of seeing childhood flitting away and the memories of it slipping farther and farther into the past. I am just recently getting to the point where I can accept the fact that I am growing up, I am where God has put me, and it's best for me to embrace the moment and move forward for God, while still appreciating the special moments He's given me in the past.

That said, I can't really think of a particular occasion I'd wish to relive, and I'd better not think about it too hard or I'll get myself depressed. :-) But I am thinking of some more general moments that I wished at the time that I could capture and wrap up and carry in my pocket to relive now and then. Moments like...

...standing on the beach with the wind blowing in my face and the waves crashing up onto the beach with a mighty boom...
...sitting with my feet hanging over the rocky ledge at Sunset Park, watching the sun sink into the calm waters of Lake Erie...
...climbing up Windlass Hill and being nearly blown away at the top by the strong Nebraska winds...
...walking in the woods when the sun was just at the right angle to light it up and cast golden patches everywhere...
...walking in bare feet with my buddies or my little friends, around the lawn at church, breathing in the warm summer air and just enjoying friendship...

...oh no. I'd better stop there. :-)


Well, lest I bore you any further with my ramblings about sentiment and memories, I'd better close up shop on my computer, read another chapter in my new volume of C. S. Lewis's nonfiction works, and then get to bed. I'm trying to get into the happen of getting to bed early and waking up early. Not sure if it'll work, but it's worth a try. ;-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, this has to be one of the hardest questions yet...!
There are so many memories dear to my heart, but if I could relive one??
I would have to say the day at the ocean with my brother.... we hadn't seen him for 4 months and he wouldn't be back home for another 8 months (he was in a military academy), so it was a very sweet day.... we just played in the water, took a walk, saw some alligators and strange birds, and just had a great time.
There are other sweet times I would love to live again, but life doesn't rewind, it just goes forward, so I want to live every day as one I would be willing to relive!