Friday, March 6, 2009

Service... Today!

I'm aware that I have been posting a lot of quotes lately, but sometimes the Lord brings along little things that others have written that truly minister to my heart and speak in a way that I couldn't if I tried, at least, not at this point. The following quotation from Mountain Rain by Eileen Fraser Crossman really hit home in an area that I have been struggling with and becoming very discouraged under-- the monotony of daily life and the burning desire to move on, to do something else, something exciting, something great. Even now, I still need to chew down the following truths and allow them to encourage my heart. Please pray as I battle discouragement-- satan knows I'm very prone to it and tries to pile all sorts of things up to bring it about. But God is more powerful than satan, and He has the power to uplift our downtrodden hearts. :-)
Enjoy these words of wisdom from one of God's humble servants: J.O. Fraser, missionary to China.


"It has come home to me very forcibly of late that it matters little what the work is in which we are engaged so long as God has put it into our hands...

"The temptation I have often had to contend with is persistent under many forms: 'If only I were in such and such a position' for example, 'shouldn't I be able to do a great work! Yes, I am only studying engineering at present, but when I am in training for missionary work things will be different and more helpful.' Or, 'I am just in preparation at present, taking Bibles courses and so on, but when get out to China my work will begin.' 'Yes, I have left home now, but I am only on the voyage, you know; when I am really in China, I shall have a splendid chance of serve.' Or, 'Well, here in the Training Home, all my time must be given to language study-- how can I do missionary work? But when I am settled down in my station and able to speak freely, opportunities will be unlimited!' etc., etc.

"It is all if and when. I believe the devil is fond of those conjunctions... The plain truth is that the Scriptures never teach us to wait for opportunities of service, but to serve in just the things that lie next to our hands . . . The Lord bids us work, watch, and pray; but satan suggests, wait until a good opportunity for working, watching, and praying presents itself-- and needless to say, this opportunity is always in the future...

"Since the things that lie in our immediate path have been ordered of God, who shall say that one kind of work is more important and sacred than another?"

~*~*~*~*~*~

"I am no more doing the Lord's work in giving the Word of God to the Chinese than you are, for example, in wrapping up a parcel to send to the tailor. It is not for us . . . to choose our work. And if God has chosen it for us, hadn't we better go straight ahead and do it, without waiting for anything great, better, or 'nobler'?"

~*~*~*~*~*~

"Why should I, in the hot, close, rainy season at Tengyueh, long for the dry months when things are more pleasant all around? Didn't God intend me to put up with the discomfort of heat and mildew? Why should I look forward to the time when I shall be able to speak Chinese more freely? Didn't God intend me to serve an apprenticeship in learning the language? Why should I look forward to a little more time for myself, for reading, etc.? Though it is the most natural thing in the world to have such thoughts, I feel they are not at all Scriptural. There is more of the flesh about them than the spirit. And they seem to be inconsistent with the peace of God, which, it is promised, shall guard our hearts and our thoughts through Jesus Christ . . .

"The apostle Paul said that he had 'learned', in whatsoever state he was, 'therein to be content,' implying that he had reached that attitude through discipline. And I suppose it must be so with all of us; the ntaural tendency is to be always straining after something in the future."


-All quotations above by J. O. Fraser, recorded in the book Mountain Rain, by Eileen Fraser Crossman, pages 28-30



:-) !!!!And a bonus quote!!!! :-)


"A little thing is a little thing, but faithfulness in a little thing is a great thing."
-J. Hudson Taylor

No comments: