Sunday, August 30, 2009

A Wonderful Day With God's Church

Great blessings from each message today at church. It was especially fulfilling because last week I had a hard time concentrating the whole day. *blushes* I would like to share with you little bits and pieces of what I learned today.

Thoughts from Sunday School.
"Discipleship is a relationship between Christ and His followers... I need to strive to lead people to a connexion to God, not to myself."

This reminded me of an excerpt I read just this week from The Journals of Jim Elliot. Allow me to share it with you:

"Just now I was thinking of separation from the systems of men in their religion. The danger of those of us pretending to be outside the camp is to make a camp out of 'camplessness.' It is all right for God to say, "Come out from among them," but that is not my place to speak. He is outside and above all petty walls. My words to my brethren must be, 'Let us go forth unto Him,' taking my place as one who must go forth, not telling others to come out where I am." (December 10, 1948)

More from Sunday School:

"Rebellion, not ignorance, keeps man from God."

"Jesus didn't treat symptoms; He went right to the cure."

"We ought to be so filled with Christ that, like Him, we can touch the dirty world and not come out with leprosy." (Thoughts of him healing the lepers, forgiving the adulterous woman, etc., without being affected. This thought especially struck me!)


Thoughts from Sunday Morning Service.

"Jesus did not communicate as did the prophets ["thus saith the Lord"]; He communicated on His own authority, as God ["Verily, verily, I say unto you."].

More thoughts on Matthew's portrayal of Jesus' authority (Matt. 7:28-29) as Teacher, Christ, Lord (Master), Saviour, Judge, Son of God, and God.


Thoughts from Afternoon Service.

This one was packed! :-) The Lord really convicted me about my great need to allow myself to be controlled by the Holy Spirit. Why do I gravitate to this or that worldly thing? What fuels my attitudes, speech, and actions? Are they fueled by love for MYSELF or by love for GOD and OTHERS? When I say, "I love God", do I actually show that in my life as well?

"Agape love is a choice love...a conscious love... a concrete love... and a Christ-enabled love."

"Love is a distinguishable fruit-- Love.
Love is a delightful fruit-- Joy (living above one's circumstances) and peace (enmity removed, order restored).
Love is demonstrative fruit-- Longsuffering (long-temperedness, unwillingness to revenge, steadfast patience), gentleness (kind sweetness), goodness (always aiming at what is good).
Love is a disciplined fruit-- Faith (faithfulness, trustworthiness, reliability), Meekness (controlled strength, submission, teachability), Temperance (without excess, mastery of our passions)."

"I must be as patient with others as God is with me." (Ouch!)

Now I am looking forward to a week of applying what I have learned today. It is something only God can do in my life; and praise the Lord, He has promised to!

"Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might." (Ephesians 6:10)

1 comment:

juli said...

Amen! Everything yesterday was soooo good!!!!!