Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Love Lustres at Calvary

The following is a prayer that was printed on the back of the church bulletins on Sunday. It really spoke to my heart and, though it is a little long, I wanted to share it with you.
~*~*~*~*~
"My Father,
Enlarge my heart, warm my affections, open my lips,
supply words that proclaim 'Love lustres at Calvary.'
There grace removes my burdens and heaps them on Thy Son,
made a transgressor, a curse, and sin for me;
There the sword of Thy justice smote the Man, Thy fellow;
There thy infinite attributes were magnified,
and infinite atonement was made;
There infinite punishment was due,
and infinite punishment was endured.
Christ was all anguish that I might be all joy,
cast off that I might be brought in,
trodden down as an enemy that I might be welcomed as a friend,
surrendered to hell's worst that I might attain heaven's best,
stripped that I might be clothed,
wounded that I might be healed,
athirst that I might drink,
tormented that I might be comforted,
made a shame that I might inherit glory,
entered darkness that I might have eternal light.
My Savior wept that all tears might be wiped from my eyes,
groaned that I might have endless song,
endured all pain that I might have unfading health,
bore a thorned crown that I might have a glory-diadem,
bowed His had that I might uplift mine,
experienced reproach that I might receive welcome,
closed His eyes in death that I might gaze on unclouded brightness,
expired that I might for ever live.
O Father, who spared not Thine only Son that Thou mightest spare me,
All this transfer Thy love designed and accomplished;
Help me to adore Thee by lips and life.
O that my every breath might be ecstatic praise,
my every step bouyant with delight, as I see my enemies crushed,
Satan baffled, defeated, destroyed,
sin buried in the ocean of reconciling blood,
hell's gates closed, heaven's portal open.
Go forth, O conquering God, and show me the cross,
mighty to subdue, comfort and save."
~*~*~*~*~
This Thanksgiving, we will thank the Lord for our homes, food to eat, friends, and so on. But let us not forget to thank Him for the most glorious gift ever given: the Lord Jesus Christ. In Him is life and hope and peace!
"For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die. But commendeth His own love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:6-8)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you are always changing your profile picture and your background! Now I'm expecting a suprise everytime I go on your blog! Love ya and Happy Thanksgiving!

Melanie said...

LOL-- yes, I love changing my profile pic. :-) As for the background, I had really wanted a tartan-looking one (since I LOOOOOVE Scotland!!!) and this was the closest I could get to one. Still not that authentic. I want to find the Anderson or O'Conner (family line) tartan. :-)
So I may be changing the background more in the future, so, stay tuned and see what happens! :-P
Love you too and have a great Thanksgiving!!