Monday, November 24, 2008

What Not to Worry About

Yesterday in Pastor's afternoon message about "Ministering the Gospel in Athens" (from Acts 17:16-34), he touched on something that really stood out to me. His point was, don't consume your time and energy on things you can't change-- as a Christian, do what God has called you to do, which is to give the Gospel. I realized as he spoke on this how much time and energy I spend in worrying about things I can't change. The night of the election (Nov. 4), I was thinking a lot about the elections, wondering who had won it, and my dreams were filled with Obama and McCain-- Obama doing all these dreadful things, and things like that. And after that, I tended to worry about what might happen now, what will change, and such. But no matter how much I worry about things, (1) it doesn't change anything, and (2), I still don't know what's going to happen-- only God does! So it gets me nowhere! It's just a waste of my time and mental capacity!

So what is the solution? What should I do instead?

Just what God tells me to do (and there are no "ifs", "ands", or "buts" about what culture I was born into, what point in history I live in, who is the ruler of my nation, etc.): Spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ! Plant and water the seed! Introduce souls into His kingdom! That is our mission as Christians, and that will change the world. Not huge political gatherings. Not organizations against this or that problem in government or society. Not worrying. Not arguing. Just the Gospel of Jesus Christ-- a thing that is timeless in its message and eternal in its truth. As Christians, we must be consumed by His glory, and jealous for His glory. Ours souls must be "attuned to the eternal".

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is true! But it goes so much against the way we normally think...:S

Melanie said...

It does!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I wish I was born in the 1800's!!! You're right...we can't change it!

Melanie said...

LOL-- me too, Juli. I think I might actually prefer long buggy rides and writing on paper with no computer and a million tons of fabric, all sewn by hand.... but, we are here and God has a reason for having put us here, so, I guess we should live it to the fullest, for His glory! :-)
Thanks for leaving me a comment! I enjoy all of them! :-D