Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Source of Victory

You know, I said I had a lot to post and here's another quote of the day! :-) I'm filling you up with all the hundreds of quotes I have in my quote book. ;-)

I especially love this quote by one of my top HEROES (!!) Eric Liddell. He wrote this in a booklet for the Chinese Christians whom he worked with, before Japan took over China and sent him to a prison camp called Weihsein, where he died. It is one of my favorite quotes.


"Victory over all the circumstances comes not by might, nor by power, but by a practical confidence in God and by allowing His Spirit to dwell in our hearts and control our actions and emotions. Learn in these days of ease and comfort so that when the days of hardship come, you will be fully equipped to meet them."


-Eric Liddell

4 comments:

Teddy said...

Melanie! Thank you SOOO much for the quote! Eric Liddell IS MY HERO!!!!! This is not said with ANY hesitency.

Melanie said...

You are SOOO welcome! And I 100% agree, I too can say without hesitancy that Eric Liddell is my hero. Probably if I had to narrow down to one single missionary as my hero, it would probably be him, though I very highly regard and glean from others.
Have you seen the Days of Discovery presentation on Eric Liddell? It is PHENOMENAL!!!! A real tear-jerker. :-)

Teddy said...

Melanie,
No I haven't, is it a movie? So sorry I am ignorant...
Isn't it way to cute how Liddell met and fell in love with his wife? It just cracks me up!
I love how he used his amazing talents for the Lord, admitting readily that God gave them to him in the first place.
Well, Mr. Liddell is deffinately at the top of my hero list, followed by (it would seem) Amy Carmichal and some others... although, (I tremble to admit) not too far down the list are my favorite book and movie characters! (After missionaries, pastors, presidents, and war heroes, OF COURSE!) I know, I'm terrible...... :)

Melanie said...

Yes, it is a documentary movie. It interviews people who knew him and stuff like that. It's GREAT!
Yes, that is cute the way he fell in love.
You gave me an idea: to write a post about my different heroes. We'll see what I can wrap up. ;-)